Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where can i download a completely free version of the best C compiler and editor with rich libraries?

I am a beginner but will devote about 15 hrs a day to learning C for the next 3 months so would appreciate direction on getting the best editor and compiler to work with. I have windows XP Professional. thanks!

Where can i download a completely free version of the best C compiler and editor with rich libraries?
well, the best c compiler and editors would be 'not-free'. but I do a lot of c code and a good place to start is to buy a book that comes with a cd (if you're going to spend that much time learning, you might as well have some tools, eh?). I've liked wiley teach yourself c++.





However, if you are dead-set on downloading tools and learning from the net, then here is what I use (it's all free).





*editor: textpad from textpad.com is a great tool. The only thing I dont use it for is php (dreamweaver is a tad better), but both c and java work well in textpad.





*compiling: the best compilers are gcc (only for linux) and viual studio ($$), but quincy '99 is an adequate compiler, and the one I have on my laptop.





final note: 15 hours a day programming c from the novice stage w/ little programming background may lead to suicidal tendencies...or at least migranes. C is a monster when it comes to learing how things work, but is *very* flexible with what you can do with it...gl hf

sundew

No comments:

Post a Comment